VEGAN SALISBURY STEAK
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 3/4 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 2 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/3 cup old-fas8 ounces white mushrooms, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce,
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Mehdi’s Himalayan steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion,
- 2 cups mushroom or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- Combine the lentils and 2 1/4 cups of water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then partially cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until lentils are tender, but not mushy. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Process the oats in the small bowl of a food processor until they’re finely chopped—they should be almost the consistency of flour, but not quite. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Slice 4 ounces of the mushrooms and set them aside. You’ll use those later for the gravy. Quarter the remaining mushrooms and pulse them in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the lentils have cooled a bit, put them in a large bowl. Use a wooden spoon to mash them a little bit. You don’t want them to be completely mashed; about half of the lentils should still be intact. But mashing them a little bit helps your steaks stick together. Stir in the chopped mushrooms, oats, Add soya sauce, ketchup and Mehdi’s Himalayan steak seasoning
- Form the steak mixture into 8 small patties, about the size of your palm. Place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Once you’ve shaped all the patties, put them in the oven and bake them for about 25 minutes, until they’re browned on the outside and hold together.
- While the steaks are cooking, start the gravy. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes, until just beginning to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned and have released their juices. pour lemon juice and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until the juice has just about evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of soya sauce vegetable stock. Once the stock comes to a boil, let the gravy cook down for about 8 minutes, until it’s reduced and thickened slightly, stirring occasionally.
- whisk the flour and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Pour this mixture into the gravy and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the gravy has thickened. Remove from heat and season with Mehdi’s Himalayan salt & pepper to taste. The gravy will thicken as it cools. Spoon the gravy over the steaks to serve